A message from our CEO
Our commitment to building a sustainable business informs everything that we do, to ensure that we can fulfil our purpose to help people manage risk and recover from the hardship of unexpected loss.
For many years, IAG has recognised that building a profitable business means building a business that can remain successful for the long term. To achieve this, we have focused on five key inter-connected levers that we have identified as central to our on-going success:
- Customer - being the insurer of choice through innovative products and a high standard of service, and being there at claims time to honour the promise we make when we sell a policy;
- Workforce - having an engaged workforce with the right people in the right roles today, and developing talent for the future;
- Community - engaging with the communities in which we operate to help them manage and reduce their risks and increase their resilience;
- Environment - managing our impact on the environment, and helping customers and the community prepare for a world in which severe weather events may become increasingly common; and
- Economic - delivering value for our shareholders through strong and consistent financial performance. Central to this is maintaining a strong capital and investment position, and using our risk expertise to appropriately identify and manage risk.
Each of these perspectives is embedded in our corporate strategy, which ensures that we are actively managing them and that they are present in every decision that we make.
We are conscious of our stakeholders' expectations of us and want to keep building on how we drive sustainable outcomes for our business and the communities in which we operate. As an insurer, the core of our expertise is risk management therefore we want to leverage this capability by sharing more of this knowledge with our customers and communities so that they can better identify, prevent and adapt to the risks that they face.
Such an approach not only benefits our customers and the communities in which we operate, but is clearly in the Group's and our stakeholders' long term interests. Taking a proactive approach to shaping the factors that affect our business is critical to our sustainability, directly in line with our purpose and is a key driver towards our long term ambition to be the world's most respected group of general insurance companies.
During this next phase of our development, we will continue to build our focus on sustainability through the effective management of community risk across the three pillars of risk prevention, adaptation and resilience, and insurance reach.
In our sustainability report, you'll find information on our approach to business sustainability, a discussion of the issues that matter most to our stakeholders, and commentary on how we've performed during the year.